Friday, May 6, 2011

Sayonara cancer!

Zach is all set up for his LAST EVER SCANS!  Back when we were first told Zach had cancer, this day wasn't even on my radar.  It didn't exist since we were getting by one lab/scan/chemo treatment at a time.  Well, on June 20, 21 and 22...the days will be here!

June 20th - appointment with Dr. Barfield/physical - find out where we go from here

June 21st - Labs and MIBG injection
June 22nd - CT and MIBG scans

The 22nd is when I will have my hands full.  An MIBG scan requires that Zach lay absolutely still for over 1 1/2 hours.  No shrugging shoulders or sneezing or anything.  Sedation is our only option for this scan since it is so long.  I'm not looking forward to this.  Each time he's been sedated (which is so many I've lost count) he has a harder and harder time while on the medications and then coming off the meds.  I hate that part.  It's like my sweet little boy is turned into this aggressive and mean terror.  Not his fault, but its so hard to watch and comfort him.  Hopefully this will be the time they will get the right combo of drugs to work for us and there will be no 'T-Rex Zach' in sight.

I'm willing to put Zach through this again without as much angst, because I know this will be it.  The last scan.  This will be the last confirmation we'll get and then I guess we'll do lab work yearly or so.  Wow.  Can't think of anything else to say about it right now.  As it gets closer, I'll be eating more Tums and having my moments, but for now, I'm ecstatic to think that we are separating ourselves from neuroblastoma and everything bad that goes with it.  Sayonara cancer!

1 comment: